Undergraduate Degree: BA
Undergraduate Degree Year: 2013
Undergraduate Institution: John Hopkins University
Undergraduate Major: Neuroscience
Year in Program: MS3
Research Advisor First Name: Christopher
Research Advisor Last Name: Bakkenist
Research Title/Research Topic: Investigating the Role of Radiation Therapy in Promoting an Anti-Tumor Immune Response
Current Research Description: I am looking into the effects of radiation on the immune response to cancer in vivo, with a focus on the function and recruitment of CD8+ T cells, myeloid-derived suppressor cells, and regulatory T cells.
Undergraduate Honors: Deans List: Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Spring 2011, Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Fall 2012 Global Health Established Field Placement Award, $3500 Summer 2012 • Travel/research grant obtained from the JHU Center for Global Health in order to carry out clinical research on TB/HIV co-infection at an institute (K-RITH) in South Africa. Outstanding Volunteer Award Spring 2012 • Given in recognition of significant volunteer contributions to People’s Community Health Center programs and projects. AHA Ambassador Recognition Award (Bronze) Spring 2012 • Given in recognition of significant community service in regards to local stroke education.
Student Committee Participation
Student Committee Involvement:
Grant Support Information:
1. Judy V. Nguyen, Elizabeth A. Mills, Keun-Young Kim, Eric A. Bushong, Chung-ha O. Davis, Pooja Karukonda, Akshay Murthy, et al. (2015) Myelination transition zone astrocytes phagocytose myelin and develop increased lipid droplets in mouse glaucoma models. PLoS Biology (submitted).
1. Pooja Karukonda, Judy V. Nguyen, Chung-ha O. Davis, Nicholas Marsh-Armstrong. Mfge-8 in the Internalization of Axonal Debris in Glaucoma. Johns Hopkins Undergraduate Research Symposium; 2013 March 14; Baltimore, MD.
1. Pooja Karukonda, Judy V. Nguyen, Chung-ha O. Davis, Nicholas Marsh-Armstrong. The Role of Mfge8 in Internalization of Axonal Debris in Glaucoma. International Symposium for Eye Research; 2013 September 29-October 2; Sarasota, FL.
2. Pooja Karukonda, Judy V. Nguyen, Chung-ha O. Davis, Nicholas Marsh-Armstrong. The Role of Mfge8 in Internalization of Axonal Debris in Glaucoma. The Greater Baltimore Chapter of the Society for Neuroscience Annual Regional Meeting; 2013 November 20; Baltimore, MD.
3. Pooja Karukonda, Hannah Gideon, JoAnne Flynn. Evaluation of Immunomodulatory Cytokine IL-27 in a Non-Human Primate Model of Tuberculosis. PSTP Sixth Annual Research Symposium, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 2014 September 19, Pittsburgh, PA.