Undergraduate Degree: BA
Undergraduate Degree Year: 2013
Undergraduate Institution: Northwestern University
Undergraduate Major: Chemistry
Year in Program: MS4
Research Advisor First Name: L. Dade
Research Advisor Last Name: Lunsford
Research Title/Research Topic:
Current Research Description:
Undergraduate Honors: R.K. Summerbell Memorial Fund Scholarship Award (Monetary Award; selected as one of the two best rising-senior undergraduate students with respect to research and academics in the Northwestern University Chemistry Department) Chemistry of Life Processes Institute Lambert Fellowship (Two-Year Research Funding and Stipend; selected as one of two undergraduate students in the Northwestern University Chemistry Department) Top Overall Oral Presentation at the Chicago Area Undergraduate Research Symposium (Plaque) Undergraduate Research Grant (Summer Funding and Stipend; summer research grant) Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude
Student Committee Participation
Student Committee Involvement:
Grant Support Information:
1. Lazarski, K. E.; Akpinar, B.; Thomson, R. J.; Evaluation of ‘east-to-west’ ether-forming strategies for the total synthesis of maoecrystal V. Tetrahedron Lett. 2013, 54 (7), 635-637.
2. Kano, H.; Xu, Z.; Chiang, V.; Mathieu, D.; Chao, S.; Akpinar, B.; Lee, J.; Yu, J.; Hess, J.; Wu, H.; Chung, W.; Pierce, J.; Missios, S.; Kondziolka, D.; Alonso-Basanta, M.; Barnett, G.; Lunsford, L. D.; Gamma Knife Radiosurgery for Facial Schwannomas: A Multicenter Study. J. Neurosurg. 2014, Manuscript Accepted.
1. Akpinar, B.; Coteli, C.; Yucel, D.; Koksal, R. K.; Dursun, A.; Demirkol, M.; Baykal, T.; Gokcay. G.; A Novel Mutation (L363P) in the OCTN2 Gene and Its Effect on Secondary Protein Structure. Clin. Genet. 2010, 78 (S1), 89.
2. Lu, A.; Sohn, J.; Akpinar, B.; Huard, J. Interaction between Myogenic and Non-myogenic Progenitor Cells during Muscle Regeneration. Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, March 28-31, 2015.
1. Akpinar, B.; Lazarski, K. E.; Thomson, R. J.; Identification of the Pharmacophore of Maoecrystal V. Chicago Area Undergraduate Research Symposium, Chicago, IL, 2012, 63.