The Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP) of the University of Pittsburgh was established as a scholarship program in 2001 to offer exceptionally talented individuals the opportunity to undertake an academic physician training program tailored to their specific research interests. This program has evolved to a five-year program funded by the School of Medicine. For students who have a clearly-defined interest in academic medicine, the PSTP enriches the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine curriculum with an additional year of basic science training. Over a period of five years, these individuals acquire the knowledge, skills, and experience to begin careers in some of the most exciting areas of academic medicine.
Our primary directive is to create future academic physicians by providing the highest quality of medical training. This program offers a range of special services and opportunities to facilitate the training. In addition to efficiency, the close integration of clinical and basic science training better reflects the future careers of academic physicians. By paralleling other specialty training programs, interested students have the capability of efficiently transferring into other well-established Pittsburgh training programs (e.g., MSTP).
The spirit of interdisciplinary collaboration that pervades the University of Pittsburgh creates a dynamic and ideal environment for promising students to launch careers that integrate clinical and basic sciences. The program matriculates a maximum of eight students per year who conduct their research in a variety of emerging fields in premier facilities. Interdisciplinary endeavors within the University of Pittsburgh have given rise to world-class facilities where PSTP students can pursue their research interests.
- Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center
- Arthritis Institute
- Center for Biological Imaging
- Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
- Center for Image-Guided Neurosurgery
- Center for Minority Health
- Center for Molecular Analysis
- Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition
- Center for Neuroscience at the University of Pittsburgh
- Department of Biomedical Informatics
- Magee-Womens Research Institute
- Magnetic Resonance Research Center
- McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine
- Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
- Robotics Institute
- University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute
- Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic